Fun Cardboard Box Toddler Activity
Winter this year has been
terrible. It's snowed a ton and just been plain freezing for the last two
months so we haven't been able to get out much. The play dates we go on have
been great as had the library, but I've been trying to come up with other ways
to keep her entertained and learning at the same time on those days we are
stuck inside the house. After browsing around Pinterest one morning I found
this Fun Toddler Activity pin that I pinned awhile back. I happened
to have tons of extra cardboard boxes from the holidays o I thought I would
give it a try.
Supplies:
Cardboard Box
Markers (though you can
probably use crayons or colored pencils as well)
Balls or Toys that are
solid color
X-ACTO Knife or Scissors
Packing Tape
The first thing I did
was try to find a cup or mug that was big enough for the balls we have to fit
through them. Once I found that the canister from my food processor was the
perfect size I went through my markers to see if I had colors that matched up
with balls. After that I started making the five circles on the bottom side of
the box.
After some trial and
error I realized that I needed to cut through one section of the box first and
then the second flap. After the circles were cut out I taped the flaps to
underneath the box and started using markers to outline the circles. I choose
the colors blue, green, pink, purple, and yellow. I also wrote the words around
the circle for feature uses.
After everything was
ready I got the corresponding balls that I had make circle for and showed Lexi
how to put them through the hole. I was also saying what the color was and
showing her the same ball so she would start to learn what colors were.
I figure she probably
won't understand yet, but if we keep going through them then one day it will
all click. Even though she didn't quite get the colors and putting the balls
that match into the same circles she did have fun and thought it would be fun to
put all kinds of toys into the circles. It's been about a month since we
started using the box and she still has fun with it daily. Overall this was
really simple learning activity to make especially because most of the items
needed you have at home already.
Here is the finished
project and some shots of Lexi playing. She was very fascinated the whole time
she played with it. She was especially unsure of where the balls went so she
kept turning the box over hence the picture on the bottom left.
I can't wait to comb through more the ideas I pinned for Lexi to learn and play! How are you all keeping the kids busy during this long and cold winter? Or if it's nice where you are please share what type of outdoor activities you are all enjoying.
Amanda

Comments
Post a Comment