Mental Health During COVID-19
Today has been an awfully hard day
for me and it started bright and early at midnight when my four-year old decided he
was done sleeping for the night. After trying everything that normally works, I
gave up. Gave him the TV, some food he wanted, and tried to fall back asleep on
the couch. According to my Garmin I got some brief moments of sleep, but
nothing restful. Between the bright light of the TV, my talkative son, and him
jumping on me at random times it was terrible. Even laying around and having
many cups of coffee, I was still unmotivated to move until almost 9am.
Today is an off day for me, but it
is something worse. My mental health is bad today. I have no interest in doing
much of anything. I wish my children would go away and leave me alone. I am not
even pushing my first grader to do any of her work because I do not care, and I
cannot fake caring anymore. I wish I could fake it for and my kids longer, but
I just cannot.
Ohio has been under a stay-at-home
order for six weeks now and little did I know how many emotions I would go
through during this time. I am rarely happy but end up somewhere between okay
and pure anger. Today I am leaning more toward anger, but I am trying to hold
on for my kids’ sake. They do not deserve a mom who is angry and takes it out
on them by yelling about stupid stuff.
You see my life changed a lot and
not a lot at the same time. I have one kid in school full-time before this and
another in a half-day program, two days a week. My husband worked all day. I
got to see friends, workout, go on playdates, girls’ nights out, and get some
quiet time. Now I have two kids at home all the time. I am supposed to get one
to do schoolwork on the regular while keeping the preschooler entertained. My
husband is still at work full-time because he is considered essential. Now I
have had my quiet time taken away because my kids are never quiet, and one does
not ever sleep without me for long. I do not get to see my friends. I do not
get to work out in the way that helps me the best. My kids and I do not get to
go on playdates. I cannot even let them go play at the playground. I do not get
the break and fun I use to by going out with friends. I am now mom and wife
24-7 without even a small break. For me that is hard.
I am feeling irrational anger at the
most random things that would not bother me before. Like friends who are super
happy with this slow-down. Or people who are posting a bunch of positive, happy
quotes. People who cannot see how bad this closure is for a lot more people than
the government tells them about. Most days I can muster through. I have removed
myself from being on social media as much and I've even unfollowed people for a
bit. It just does not always work. I would just love to meet someone who is
struggling like I am. To know that I am not alone. I get some people do not
like being vulnerable, but what kind of life are you living if you cannot be
vulnerable with friends. I do not want to live like that. I like talking about
my feelings and how I am coping with things and I wish others would be like
that too.
The okay part of me gets what this
whole thing is for, but I am losing my patience with it. I cannot even imagine
the possibility of this going past May 1st. I try not to think of it because I
am certain I will have a nervous break-down of some sort if I must stay in or
near my home for much longer. Having the parks have been great, but my kids
need a playground. We do not have the luxury of putting one in our backyard for
them to use. My kids and I need people. We need to bond and enjoy other people
company. I also need a safe place to drop my kids on bad days and that was what
the YMCA gave me. Childcare gave us an extended family we did not know we
needed in Brandy, Jena, Jennifer, Reaven, Brit, and Katie. It gave my kids
other people to love on them when I was struggling. It gave them new friends to
meet and play with. It also showed them the importance of working out and
taking time for yourself.
Grief is not something I thought I
would experience during this time. Grief is hard. Hard because nobody wants to
talk about it, or people are afraid to talk about it. It takes me back to all
the grief I held onto from when my grandmother died when I was kid and the grief,
I felt last year when my aunt passed away unexpectedly. I find this to a hard
emotion for me to deal with. It is something that took me a lot of therapy and
learning ways to cope. They do not always work and right now nothing seems to
be working. God love my therapist for hearing probably the same things repeatedly
just in different forms.
Today despite some stuff that
normally helps me I have been breaking down crying doing random things like
taking sheets off my bed to wash them. I had a moment of grief right before I
walked down the stairs to help my son with something. I am feeling some grief
right now as I fold laundry and write this. I am trying to not think of the
grief that is probably ahead of me. Like a lost summer with friends, a lost
summer of traveling, and just traveling altogether. Lost time with our families
who do not live here.
Today is hard. Is this hard for anyone else? Let me know how you are doing.
I had a pretty big breakdown Tuesday when Gov. DeWine confirmed school closure. I just kept saying it wasnt fair. Seeing the kids miss out on so much. I'm definitely not a mom AND a teacher even though I love both of those, theres a time and place for each, kudos to all those home school parents, but no thanks lol. I had very little alone time with 4 kids before all this and now its completely gone as well. Its HARD and you are so not alone. I have bad days on the reg. I love changed how I do the kids schooling 3 times now. My advice on that is do what you feel is enough. Only 1 more month, hang in there mama. �� #sendingprayers #andwine
ReplyDelete