Book Review: Calm the H*ck Down

Happy Wednesday ya'll! I wanted to hop on here and share a quick review of the last book I read. It's a really wonderful and funny book. I think this year especially most parents can relate. Most parenting books I've read seem to have great advice, but it's not practical at all. It doesn't take in to account for strong-willed children or children that have emotions. They don't into account for real-life. This book is the complete opposite of that. It gives you all the real-life stuff we as parents deal with and some practical ideas that might help. The book comes out on December 8th and you can pre-order it here.



"They have super-good leadership skills, aka they are belligerent a-holes."

I knew after reading that line that this was going to be my type of book. I've read a variety of parenting books over the last eight years and this has been my favorite so far. It's filled with real-life, sometimes messy stories. It's filled with practical and funny advice for all parents. Melanie has made it clear this is how she does parenting and you can take it or leave it. If if didn't apply it you then skip the advice. If you've master the specific problem or topic she is writing about then skip that. I found this to be very well written and witty. Her stories made me laugh out loud. I've never shared more book quotes with friends, but I could literally highlight most of the book to share with others.

"And here’s the kicker. I thought I’d enjoy parenting more. I don’t.Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids and really enjoy a tremendous amount of the parenting action I see. But there are some parts that just aren’t enjoyable. It’s not all fun and games."

I really feel like Melanie is my spirit parent animal. 😂 She totally gets me in a lot of areas. I really feel like her advice to lighten up is just what I needed to hear especially after the dumpster fire that 2020 has been so far. Do yourself a favor and if you feel stressed out/burnt out take some time to read this book.

"Even if we do our best and it all goes to heck, I want us to lighten up and remain mostly calm. Our identity is not wrapped up in however our kids turn out. We can work hard on this parenting gig, but at the end of the day, they’ll make their choices and have lives apart from ours."

"That’s how we keep going, how this too, whatever this is, shall pass. Through relationships. We pick each other up and encourage each other to keep going. We celebrate the wins and mourn the losses together."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Keys Review

31 Days 2013: Weight Loss!!!

A Guide to Maui with Kids!