31 Days 2013 - Sleep (or lack of)

Well my final post is going to be about something that I think can make anybody but especially me a better person. Sleep. I know everyone has been told a million times that sleep is the key to making you look and feel better but boy I didn't believe that until I became a mother. Let me tell you know I dream of a good night’s sleep especially early on or in my case when my daughter is a terribly sleeper. This week alone we've probably only sleep about 6 hours total maybe a little more but not much. Last night I was really feeling worn out and frustrated so I was hoping for at least a solid 4 hours of sleep. Nope it was more like 2 again.

I'm going to stop complaining now and just talk about how I really truly believe that a good night’s sleep can make everything better. So the reasons I know this stuff is because I read - a lot. I read books as well as various articles about anything and everything. I like to learn about pretty much anything especially health related. I found this article when I was researching ideas on how to get my child to sleep at night as well as how many hours she needs to sleep. 

The most important, in my mind, reason why you need sleep is because it leads to healthy functioning of the brain and emotional well-being. I can definitely attest to this being true. I know when I don't get enough sleep I am not a happy camper and I really don't feel well emotional. It can also play a huge role in your physical health. I have noticed since I went on this healthy lifestyle change that the weeks I don't sleep the scale doesn't move at all. That's just one way not sleeping can affect your physical help. It can also lead to various other problems such as heart disease and high blood pressure.  The last thing lack of sleep can affect is how you react during the day. This basically just means that you are less productive at work and tend to make more mistakes. 

I've been working on getting better at sleeping but there is no way for me personally that I can sleep longer then 4-5 hours and wake up refreshed. If I sleep longer then 4-5 solid hours then I wake up groggy and tired still.  I'm by no means an expert in sleep this is just something I enjoy learning about. I also am always trying to improve my sleep habits anyway I can. I have days and even weeks where I slip, but I've just had to make sleep a priority in my life. I know that is hard with all that everyone has going on but it’s definitely something everyone should try and correct.

Here is the article I was referencing for anyone that wants to read it. Why Is Sleep Important?


 Manda


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Keys Review

31 Days 2013: Weight Loss!!!

A Guide to Maui with Kids!